The Boehly Center Financial Literacy Program is a student-run, non-credit, certificate-granting program offered by the Boehly Center for Excellence in Finance at the Raymond A. Mason School of Business. It seeks to provide students with a working knowledge of basic personal finance concepts in critical areas such as personal budgeting, student loans and personal credit, the economics of higher education, insurance and taxes, and saving and investment for retirement. The program is open to all current W&M undergraduate students.
Financial Literacy Program
Your finances will affect every aspect of your life. Effective money management can ensure a more stable marriage, your ability to afford new experiences, and greater personal freedom. A lack of financial awareness will lead to poor outcomes:
- Over 40% of Americans cannot afford a $400 emergency expense
- 43% of student loan borrowers are not making payments
- 38% of U.S. households have credit card debt
Our program will help you plan for your desired lifestyle and avoid costly mistakes. In the long run, financial literacy will provide a sense of freedom and a boost to happiness. We provide seminars, one-on-one tutoring, and financial workshops for students groups.
- The Financial Literacy Program is a 4-session series running each semester (dates TBD in future Boehly Center Communications)
- The program also holds one-off sessions upon request (please see the form above). These one-off sessions can combine multiple topics listed above depending on the request & audience.
- Introductory Personal Finance Topics
- Budgeting, Saving, Credit/Credit Cards, Investing
- Student Loans
- Types of Student Loans, Application Process, Repayment, Refunds, Considerations/Alternatives
- Your First Job
- Taxes, Insurance, Retirement Saving/Planning
- Graduate School
- Informative Overview, Affordability, Pros/Cons, and Additional Considerations
Peer Educators are student leaders who create & present the Financial Literacy Program’s content with the direction & supervision of faculty directors.